Kevin Bacon‘s Owen Whistler tells campers that his summer camp is a safe space for all in the brand new teaser for Peacock Original Film They/Them. But the cracks are already showing, and eerie imagery of ventriloquist puppets and a masked killer indicates these campers won’t be in for a good time after all.
They/Thempronounced “They-slash-Them,” is a slasher horror film set at an LGBTQIA+ conversion camp executive produced, written, and directed by John Logan (“Penny Dreadful”).
In the film, “Several queer and trans campers join Whistler for a week of programming intended to ‘help them find a new sense of freedom.’ As the camp’s methods become increasingly more psychologically unsettling, the campers must work together to protect themselves. When a mysterious killer starts claiming victims, things get even more dangerous.”
The slasher will debut on Peacock on Friday, August 5.
watch the first They/Them teaser trailer below.
“They/Them has been germinating within me my whole life. I’ve loved horror movies as long as I can remember, I think because monsters represent ‘the other’ and as gay kid I felt a powerful sense of kinship with those characters who were different, outlawed, or forbidden,” said writer and director , John Logan. “I wanted to make a movie that celebrates queerness, with characters that I never saw when I was growing up. When people walk away from the movie, I hope they’re going to remember the incredible love that these kids have for each other and how that love needs to be protected and celebrated.”
The cast includes:
- Kevin Bacon (he/him) plays Owen Whistler, the conversion camp director who runs Whistler Camp alongside several counselors including his wife, Cora.
- Anna Chlumsky (she/her) plays Mollythe camp’s medic and newest employee.
- Carrie Preston (she/her) plays Cora Whistlera licensed therapist in charge of the campers’ therapy sessions, and the wife of camp director Owen Whistler.
- Theo Germaine (they/them) plays Jor
Dana transgender and non-binary camper from a religious background who has made a deal with their parents to legally emancipate if attending Whistler doesn’t “work.”
- Quei Tann (she/her) plays alexandraa transgender woman whose parents have threatened to kick her out of the house if she didn’t attend the camp.
- austin crute (he/him) plays Tobya gay camper who negotiated with his parents for a trip to New York in exchange for a week at Whistler Camp.
- Monique Kim (she/her) plays Veronicaa bisexual camper who wants to stop fighting who she really is.
- Anna Lore (she/her) plays Kima closeted lesbian camper who puts on a perfectly crafted front for her family and friends, assuming that when she fits in, she’ll finally be loved.
- Cooper Koch (he/him) plays stua jock with aspirations of a swim scholarship and joining his father’s fraternity – things he doesn’t feel he can achieve if he’s open about being gay.
- Darwin del Fabro (he/him) plays Gabriela sensitive gay camper tired of the persistent name-calling and bullying he’s endured his entire life.
Scott Turner Schofield (Euphoria; The Craft: Legacy), Howie Young (Mission: Impossible III, Hit and Run), and Jon Romano (Firestarter (2022), Revenge) also serve as executive producers. Jason Blum (get-out, The Invisible Man) and Michael Aguilar (Penny Dreadful, kidding) are producers.